TNO is an independent research organisation that employs some 3,000 specialists. We believe in the joint creation of economic and social value. We focus on transitions or changes in five social themes: Industry; Healthy Living; Defence, Safety & Security; Urbanisation and Energy. Innovation with purpose is what TNO stands for. We develop knowledge not for its own sake, but for practical application.
TNO connects people and knowledge to create innovations that boost the competitive strength of industry and the well-being of society in a sustainable way.
Every four years, in close collaboration with our stakeholders, we draw up a strategic plan that describes how we will pursue our mission. This plan is our proposal to society. You can download our strategic plan at the bottom of the page. Our strategy is a reflection of the trends we observe in society and technology. In close coordination with our stakeholders we have defined five transitions on which we will focus. These are in line with the challenges and ambitions of the Top Sector policy and social themes in the Netherlands and the rest of Europe. The transitions can be summarised as follows:
- Industry: from economic stagnation to growth in high-technology industry
- Healthy Living: from illness and treatment to health and behaviour
- Defence, Safety & Security: from a wide range of threats to controllable risks
- Urbanisation: from urbanisation bottlenecks to urban vitality
- Energy: from conventional sources to sustainable energy systems.